How to paint an owl cookie.

Thursday, September 15, 2011












Rise up this mornin', Smiled with the risin' sun, Three little birds pitch by my doorstep 

We are having a very special owl and ladybird party soon and preparations are well underway. In the party bags there has to be a cookie, and I thought I'd share with you how to paint a happy (or should that be funny?) owl.
We had a lovely week in Cornwall during the Summer, and one of our trips was to the Screech Owl Sanctuary. It was fabulous, the kidlets got to stroke lots of owls and even have a go at flying them. We took lots of pictures , including this gorgeous chap (sorry I can't remember his name or breed). 

A few of their owls were used as models for the film Legend of the Guardians, so we got to see Movie stars too.
Anyway now we have our model we are ready to begin.

Leave your fondant to dry over night.
I used Sugarflair dark brown and liquorice and Wilton cornflower blue, a dark brown food colouring pen, and size 4 and 1 brushes. I use water to paint with.
The trick is to keep your brush as dry as possible, don't overload it with water and make you strokes as light as you can so they don't etch into the fondant.


If you have a go I'd love to see your creations and do let me know if you have any painting issues.

I still have a few places on my next course 29th September, (e-mail me nevie-pie@hotmail.co.uk) but you'll have to get in soon if you want to come.
xxx